Flickr

www.flickr.com
Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset

Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

How do you display your wares?


With the Christmas craft sale season quickly approaching, I am once again pondering my table display. I struggle with this at every craft show that I attend as a vendor. I don't know why this is so hard for me, as during my 11 years in retail sales, I also really enjoyed merchandising and display... and I was quite good at it as well! Perhaps it is the fact that you only get a 6 foot table to work with, and you are competing with many other vendors to get the attention of potential customers. I always try and make my table interesting by using different levels to display my jewelry, the problem I have is when it comes to props, theme, colors, and how to actually place the jewelry onto the table in an effective but non cluttered way. In the past I had my necklaces and bracelets in those long, narrow jewelry boxes, opened up and lined up on the table, with a black table cloth underneath the boxes. The problem with this was that the fluffy inserts from the boxes always got caught on the jewelry, and when a customer pulled out the item to try it on, the long fluffy insert came with it! When I removed the insert, the jewelry just looked lame and flat in the naked boxes. I also have one of those cheap plastic earring spinners, which you hang the earring cards from, but I am not really impressed with it, as it looks cheap. The two items that I do have that I love, are my gals Betty and Lucy...my retro mannequins! These ladies are great for displaying my necklaces, and they are certainly get alot of attention. So I need to build from there with some fresh new display ideas, and I am looking to do something vibrant and exciting,without taking away from the jewelry itself. How do you display your wares at craft sales? I would love to hear your unique ideas on this subject, or if anyone knows of any good websites on the subject, I would be most appreciative if you would pass on the information. I am sure many other crafters and designers must struggle with this also, so perhaps we can all help each other with some great inspirational ideas!
Pin It

4 comments:

ChatElaine said...

Its great seeing you work, very original. I have same problems with displays too. Mine are much more boring compared to yours.
Elaine

Waterrose said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Betty and Lucy are just too much and I'm sure they grab attention! It's probably harder to set up your own table, rather than someone else's products, because it is your own product. It always seems harder to promote ourselves rather than others.

BeadedTail said...

Betty and Lucy are wonderful and would certainly get my attention! I haven't started doing shows yet and have a hard enough time figuring out how to display items just for Etsy pictures. I do know that I like visual interest when I see craft show vendors. Items just laying flat and in rows are so boring to me and I don't want to have to keep picking things up to get a good look at them. I do know that I would visit your table just because of Betty and Lucy!

ChatElaine said...

If I saw Betty and Lucy I would definately stop and check them out. I have similar problems with my table making it stand out! I havent done so many fairs this year but still want to try and improve the look mine is rather standard really. Crushed velvet cloth (dark lilac) and I have upright cork boards hinged together painted with black sticky felt over the cork. Bit boring really want things to put on the table to liven up the table more. I have seen logs and stones/pebbles etc they are quite nice nothing really striking!
Good luck!

Featured on:

World Artisan Gems

Sizzling Sales and Promos!

Would you like to be notified of sales and promos at Hot Rocks?
If so send me your email address, and I will add you to my mailing list.
contact susan@hotrocksglassjewels.com